9/13/12

New York Vintage - Where to buy vintage hats in NYC

Where to shop for vintage hats in NYC

I recently visited New York Vintage
a vintage shop located at 
117 West 25th Street in New York, NY.

I didn't understand the allure of 
buying and wearing ladies vintage hats 
until my friend Megan invited me to visit 
her vintage boutique in NYC. 
I have seen and tried on vintage hats 
from estate collections before, 
but they were always too small for my head. 

I was in vintage hat heaven at New York Vintage
The store has a nice selection of hats 
from several different decades of the 20th century. 

I also got to meet Carlos, who makes hats, 
and try on one of his creations.


Where to buy hats in NYC
 Zara dress, Ross Simons 100 inch string of pearls
Where to buy hat in New York

The most educational hat I tried on 
was from the 1930s. 
It made me feel so different 
than hats from the 'Roaring 20s' - 
it was simple and somber, 
a hat with a clear purpose of covering the head 
and not a fashion statement. 

If you are an absolute hat voyeur, 
I suggest making your way 
to the inside section of the store 
to see their upscale hat collection. 
It's so wonderful they wouldn't even 
let me take a photo of it. 

Just as well, because it really has to be seen 
to be properly enjoyed.
New York Vintage
 Check out more photos of their store at their website:


I did buy a hat at New York Vintage, 
an amazing hat that I will wear this winter. 
A vintage Schiaparelli faux fur hat.
As soon as it snows, I'll post photos of "The Hat." 

Know a lady who loves to wear hats? 
Please share this blog with her!
Want to feel inspired to wear hats?
 Follow Thats a Pretty Hat

23 comments:

  1. Nice photos
    Your blog is great too, going back to check out past posts now!
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC??

    Kendra
    xx

    www.stoleninspiration.com

    Ohhh by the way we have a great giveaway on at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks GREAT!
    Thanks again for coming by!!!

    xx.M
    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love going to a vintage hat shop Kathleen....pretty soon I hope!!

    REBECCA
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New York Vintage has clothes, too, of course, but they sure do have a great selection of hats.

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see the Schiaparelli hat! I happen to own a vintage Schiaparelli hat box that I cherish, but I haven't acquired a Schiaparelli hat yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, probably the only reason I am looking forward to cold temperatures is a chance to wear that hat. I'm a summer girl with a winter hat...

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see your Schiaparelli hat! I happen to own a Schiaparelli hat box that I cherish but I haven't yet acquired a vintage Schiaparelli hat to go in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely!!! The hat/dress/pearls are to die for!!! What a neat little shop. I'm excited to see your purchase!

    I put up photos of the rest of the outfit I wore with the hat I sent you, and put a link to your blog in the post. :) Hope you don't mind! I'm still really excited that you asked me to be featured!!!

    xoxox
    theefface.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sending your photo over! You have an excellent eye for hats!

      Delete
  7. My word, my poor credit card would get such a fierce workout if I ever had the joy of visiting a shop like that which specialized in vintage hats. :)


    Wishing you a gorgeous Friday,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, absolutely. I told myself I could only buy my absolute favorite one.

      Delete
  8. Perhaps I have written it before. I'm really impressed with your hat and you always look great with the hats you choose. Exciting with New York Vintage. I will visit the next time I come to New York

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your compliments!

      Delete
  9. i live by a costume store and love seeing all the hats and costumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, that must be inspiring!

      Delete
  10. Look at all these fabulous hats!! Love your most recent post... what a lovely night at the opera!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your blog should be that's an amazing hat cause all the ones I've seen are pretty amazing! I especially love the boldness of this black hat!

    KT
    www.KTRstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, awesome store ... nwe york new york ...

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apparently I've been trying on vintage hats wrong. I always got frustrated because they wouldn't fit over the top of my head, and the sellers would claim that they used to have smaller skulls back then.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I want each post to be the beginning of a conversation, so I try to respond to every comment. Please let me know how you feel!