2/10/13

What is Old Hollywood Glamour?

What is 'Old Hollywood Glamour'


Celebrities like Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Lana Turner and Dita Von Teese come to mind. For me, the classic styles of the 1920's through 1960's will always be chic.

 

Jenny Packham's Fall 2012 Runway had examples of old Hollywood glamour - http://youtu.be/RfVubHBDI98

 


Blue Velvet Vintage made a sweet video that shows three different evening outfits with tons of old Hollywood glamour. http://youtu.be/PzN-BbdiOOo



For me, the keys to these outfits were:

Each dress was not trendy, it was a timeless classic. Our mothers would have worn it, and it still looks great in 2013. 

The accessories were classic as well - statement jewelry, gloves, vintage-style shoes.

There was an focal point of interest on the head - a cocktail hat or hair accessory!



I am really drawn to this style of dressing. Here is my interpretation of old Hollywood glamour:







 
Who is your favorite example of old Hollywood glamour and why?

Why do you like old Hollywood glamour? 
 

Know a lady who loves to wear hats?
Please share this blog with her - it will make her day!
Want to feel inspired to wear hats?
 Follow Thats a Pretty Hat

24 comments:

  1. I grew up loving that 'old hollywood glamour' watching black and whites of fred and ginger and others. Its a classic but timeless style.
    Love the last dress and the photo. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great the fall runway video you posted. There is a lot of glitter and sparkle. Gotta love it:) When I think old Hollywood glamour, I think of the late 30's and the bias cut dresses and rhinestones. Also, the material of liquid satin seems to echo glamour. I love looking at vintage studio shots from the film stars of the day. They are so detailed and you get a small sliver of what it must have been like. I think fur also played a big part in old hollywood. I'm really partial to the rhinestone bracelets of the 20's through the 40's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, I agree! I fell in love with liquid satin and wanted that to be the fabric of my wedding dress. Then I feel in love with my actual wedding dress!

      Delete
  3. That red dress is stunning! Old Hollywood Glamour is my favourite as well. I like your interpretation, and only wish I could dress like that every single day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous! I love Grace Kelly's version of "old Hollywood" glamour, although you might be giving her a run for her money!
    xx

    Here&Now
    Enter My Lendperk Giveaway (Only a few hours left!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I agree - I'm a big fan of Grace Kelly and my Pinterest is full of her photos.

      Delete
  5. I love old Hollywood glamore, because the clothing is .. appropriate! You don't have to let is all hang out to be sexy.

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your interpretation is very elegant and beautiful, Kathleen - the photo of you at your vanity adds even more of an air of glamour to that image. I adore the look of old Hollywood Glamour. I don't follow the going-ons or fashions of modern celebrities very closely most of the time, but I know that had I been alive back in those days, I would have poured over photos of what the starlets of the day were wearing.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, me, too. I fell in love with that vanity and it's the crown jewel of our bedroom!

      Delete
  7. My fave example of Hollywood Glamour has to be Rita Hayworth, in Gilda or dancing with Astaire, she was the pinnacle of gorgeousness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look absolutely gorgeous!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, the dress is stunning!

    Edita
    www.pret-a-reporter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this look is truly gorgeous!!!!
    Elena
    http://dcinstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous dress! You look fabulous and very glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic little video!!! And you look tremendously lovely, as well. ;)

    xoxox
    theefface.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I want each post to be the beginning of a conversation, so I try to respond to every comment. Please let me know how you feel!