3/16/13

Fascinator hat DIY - How to make a fascinator

 How to Make A Homemade Fascinator Hat


By: Kathleen Lisson

I love handmade millinery. For the crafty ladies among us, here is a video by milliner Janie Lawson on how to make a fascinator hat. 

I liked watching this video because I learned how much time and creativity goes into making a hat - giving me more respect for my favorite milliners!

Lawson shows all the different aspects of creating a hat, including the part where she sews a comb on the back. This is a great tip for repairing a hat with a loose comb.

My favorite part of the video was where Lawson attaches the veiling. I have a few vintage hats that aren't my style but do have beautiful veiling. I am now considering whether to repurpose the vintage veiling and add it to one of my fascinators to make a seductive veiled cocktail hat! 

Check out the video here:
http://youtu.be/b-l_hNrH0sI



Know a lady who loves to wear hats? 
Please share this blog with her - it will make her day!
Want to feel inspired to wear hats?
 Follow Thats a Pretty Hat

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this video! I don't own a single hat but I love looking at them and trying them on for fun.

    Jess
    What Jess Wore

    ReplyDelete
  2. She makes it look so easy - dare I say effortless, though of course it's not and that is always the mark of a very skilled person. I've never ventured into hat or fascinators making territory, but the idea is certainly appealing and who knows, perhaps one day I will (bookmarking this video for future reference for that very reason).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to see things taken a part and put back together. It gives me a better understanding of the item, instead of just thinking that it comes together by 'magic.' Also, if I ever want to change the drape of the veiling or add a flower/feather, I know how to approach the project!

      Delete
  3. SO EXCITED TO SEE YOU IN A MONTH!

    xx.M
    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I can't believe I was at the gym and saw your smiling face on Bravo!

      Delete
  4. Oooh that looks inspiring, I may give it a go thank you Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea

    *Besos*

    C.Michelle

    http://www.cmichellestyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful video! She makes it look like anyone, with a bit of patience, could make such a hat. What FUN!

    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I did not realize I was signed in under my other account. Just wanted to make sure you knew this is the same Hope.

    Thank you for leaving me a comment today on my 1948 Chrysler New Yorker post. So nice to see you!

    :)Hope

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! I've always wanted to go to a party where I could wear a fascinator. Maybe I'll just have to throw one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My best friend has been thinking about wearing a birdcage veil for her wedding but haven't been able to find one that she 100% loves. Maybe she should just make one! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this tutorial!! It is great. I have to say, I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it, I have been scrolling through your posts and I am definitely going to be following you from now on. xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do want to incorporate more hats into my outfits... however i do it mostly with sporty looks as i dont have really nice ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love fascinators! they look so awesome. thanks for sharing this and I hope Spring comes soon for you in NYC.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! How cool. Thanks for stopping by the blog! xo, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will check out the vid. I've always been fascinated with fascinators:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I want each post to be the beginning of a conversation, so I try to respond to every comment. Please let me know how you feel!