Ladylike Style Advice
by Kathleen Lisson
Downton Abbey and Mad Men have dazzled me for years, The Great Gatsby premieres on May 10th and Grace of Monaco opens on December 27th - TV and the movies are focusing on ladylike style.
Audrey Hepburn, Jackie Kennedy, Grace Kelly, Duchess Catherine, all timeless style icons noted for their ladylike outfits.
It should be easy to get excited about ladylike style, but...
"Act more like a lady"
This phrase is likely the first time many young girls ever thought about being a lady, and unfortunately for us, it was held up as something we didn't have. We were taught all the things we loved - getting dirty, climbing trees, sports - were 'unladylike.' Who could blame us for deciding that ladies were stuffy and we were NEVER going to be one!
Now that I am an adult, I have decided that I can work up a sweat on a dusty running trail and still enjoy pearls and lace. I am reclaiming ladylike style and would like to show you the essential elements of my look.
Zara dress and coat, Abigail Aldridge hat
Top 7 Ladylike Wardrobe Essentials:
1. Hats - nobody wears hats anymore! Stand out with a cloche, sunhat, panama hat or beret. Find hat inspiration at my Pinterest board here: http://pinterest.com/khlisson/that-s-a-pretty-hat/
2. Fit and Flare dresses. Think Dior's New Look. This classic shape flatters many body types, especially the pear type. What do they look like? Find examples at Modcloth here: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/fit-flare-dresses
3. Pearls - A simple string of pearls and matching pearl studs complement EVERY dress.
4. Low-heel shoes in beige, red, brown and black.
5. Classic bag in a neutral color.
6. Jacket - Duchess Catherine has amazing taste in jackets and coats - Find the latest photos of her style on Pinterest here: http://pinterest.com/search/?q=duchess%20catherine%20coat
7. Your own personal twist. Do you like seamed pantyhose? Gloves? Lilly Puliter prints? Put your own personal stamp on this trend!
Westfield fashion stylist Ken Thompson offers advice on how to dress in the glamorous ladylike trend in this video:
Please share this blog with her - it will make her day!
Want to feel inspired to wear hats?
Linking to: NotDeadYetStyle.com DCInstyle.com and IFB Project #89